Friday, July 29, 2011

Squash Pie...Don't laugh, This is Good!

If you're still looking for ways in which to use up all the excess Summer Squash...here's a recipe that will knock your socks off.

This recipe calls for Summer Yellow Squash, but Zucchini will also work just as well.

If you like Custard Pies at all, then this one will greatly surprise you. This pie has a wonderful filling that is much like the texture and taste of custard with a little bit of a twist.

The only way to really explain it...is to bake it. I won't include a pie crust here because there are so many variations and most folks have their own special way of making those anyway. I've never tried this in a Graham Cracker crust, but I think that's next on my list, so without any more ado...here is the filling.


Pie Filling Ingredients:

2 1/12 c. summer squash (with the peelings and seeds)
cut, cook & drain
1/2 c. sugar
2 eggs
1/2 c. sour cream
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. nutmeg

Place all ingredients, except nutmeg into blender or your mixer. Blend until thick and frothy. Pour mixture into uncooked pie shell. Sprinkle liberally with the nutmeg. Sprinkle edges of the pie crust also. Bake at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes or until a knife inserted comes out clean. Cool thoroughly and enjoy.

2 comments:

  1. I still don't have the first summer squash. But it could be the locality also. That and my garden SUCKS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have an over abundance of summer squash. I might have to try this recipe, minus the sugar. I would have to substitue stevia.

    ReplyDelete