Tuesday, August 2, 2011

The Mid-West Heat has Fried the Garden

The mid-west is on its way to breaking some serious heat records. Temperatures are soaring to well above 100 degrees with no relief in sight.Apparently the official diagnosis is "drought". I'm one of the luckier individuals here in my area as far as the garden is concerned and part of that luck is due to; what I believe, is My Drip Irrigation System.

While everyone is complaining that they can't get enough water to their gardens so that the plants can survive...my garden is still doing fairly well. However, the heat has made a tremendous difference in the plant bearing property.

The plants are definitely stressed and showing extreme signs of wear, but they are still surviving and bearing fruit. I notice much of the corn stalks in the gardens now are burnt up. They are brown and look now what they would normally look like in late August.

My corn is still green, but the corn cobs are not filling out properly and those cobs that are still small are not growing much in size.

The Drip Irrigation System that I designed and built has already paid for itself this year in continued yields of Tomato's, Bell Peppers, Hot Peppers, Pumpkins, Cantaloupe and Watermelons. The Sunflowers are still doing good and I always plant lots of flowers in my gardens that are still doing well. Marigolds are huge and blooming beautifully.

I believe that most of the production that I'm still receiving right now is positively due to The Drip Irrigation System. It puts the water right at the root; therefore, there is very little dehydration of water before it get to the plant and there is no water on the foliage that can lead to disease, bugs and of course; leaf burning.

If you would like to learn more about Drip Irrigation, just visit
Gary's Simple Gardens and read an article that wrote concerning the many benefits to your garden.

I do think that if we don't see some relief from these soaring temperatures soon...the garden along with the mid-west will fry like a chicken.

Pray for Rain!
.

No comments:

Post a Comment