Friday, August 5, 2011

A New Garden Plot

When I first moved to the current location in Missouri that I'm at now from the South Coast of Oregon; I knew that my gardening experience would change dramatically. However, I didn't realize that I would create such a jungle.

One of the first things that I looked for when I attained this home in the Springfield area was to where I was going to put the new garden. We are in the middle of 270 acres here, but only one of them is mine. Therefore, I knew that it would be the same place where a garden had been in years past. It was a small plot that I knew would just never be large enough so...I went bigger.

This plot was at the time about 20x25 and I increased it to 40x50 and all in a hearty fescue grassed yard. I knew that I was going to have problems this year trying to keep under control.

Since I moved here late last year, I didn't have time to take the precautions in which I discuss in my book Simple Gardens Exposed.

Therefore, I knew that I would have a fight on my hands, but I pressed on in order to fulfill my desire for a garden this year. Working up the ground with my rear tine tiller wasn't a problem. After several passes the ground was in fairly good shape and proceeded to plant.

I didn't take the time to draw out a real good plan for planting this year and I suffered some because of it, but overall; everything turned out extremely well. We were able to plant many things that we couldn't grow in the Northwest region and was excited at the prospects.

After getting everything planted we proceeded with laying down the black plastic between the rows in order to keep the grass from growing back. Everything looked great. The
Drip Irrigation was built and in place, the plastic was between the rows as is suggested in my book; however, I was not ready for what happened over the next month.

The fescue began to push up the plastic around the edges. I knew that fescue grass is a formidable foe, but this stuff is ferocious. I tried to pull it the best I could. I laid straw on top of the plastic to try and keep it down, but the winds this year always seemed to be blowing about 40 mph., so it was always being pushed and raised to allow more air to get in. This caused me a little grief so I made wire pins to push into the ground to hold the plastic down. This helped tremendously, but the fescue was already taking a strong hold.

I didn't wish to use any spray to kill the grass so this year I just fought it by hand. I didn't divide and conquer in any sense of the word. That is the reason why that this year I will have the time to implement all the options of which I wrote in my book for having a weed free garden next season.

We had a fantastic garden, but we put a lot of work into it. I knew that it would be tough working up a new plot of land like that, and I knew that it would be especially bad with the fescue I had to fight. It would have all been easier if I would have been able to have enough time to work the garden according to Simple Gardens Exposed.

The work is always worth the enjoyment of seeing things grow and produce. And with all the extra product we grew; we were able to help with the food share program in our area plus help out a lot of needy folks in our church.

I do; however, look forward to this year and being able to work the garden the right way and not having to fight the weeds and grass next year. I will implement everything that I have written and follow my own advice. I've used my method for years, and it works every time. This year the plot fought me pretty good, but next year the victory will all be mine.

If you're interested in gardening methods that are proven to reduce labor and disease by up to 60%, then go to Simple Gardens Exposed and order my book. The book has been reduced from $12.95 to $3.95 for a short time and will give you a much needed revelation about how little work there can be when a garden is prepared the right way.

Thanks for reading and good luck!.

No comments:

Post a Comment